As a courtesy to all of our patients, a free Lasik consultation is given to persons interested in having the procedure done. We are affiliates of the TLC laser eye centers and co-manage all pre-operative and post-operative with our centers.
What is Lasik Surgery?
LASIK (Laser-Assisted-In-Situ Keratomileusis) is currently one of the most frequently performed elective procedures in North America. It is a highly effective outpatient procedure that is suitable for most low, moderate and higher prescriptions. LASIK uses a cool beam of light from the excimer laser to gently reshape the front surface (cornea) of your eye.
The Lasik Procedure
- Anesthetic drops are applied to the eye.
- A protective flap is created and gently lifted by the surgeon, revealing the inner corneal tissue.
- Computer-controlled pulses of cool laser light are applied to the inner layers of your cornea. As the laser pulses, it makes a ticking sound. The inner corneal layer is reshaped with the laser to mimic your contact lens or glasses prescription.
- The surgeon gently replaces the flap and aligns it to its original position. It heals naturally and securely.
- Some patients may feel slight irritation for a few hours, but most are quite comfortable after a nap and rest.
What are the benefits Lasik Surgery?
Most patients are extremely pleased with their LASIK results. The benefits of LASIK eye surgery are many, and include immediate vision improvement, the ability to discontinue using costly and frustrating corrective eyewear and contact lenses, and broadened social, recreational, and career opportunities.
- Immediate Results. One of the truly remarkable benefits of LASIK eye surgery is that most LASIK patients experience dramatically improved vision within mere moments of the procedure. While ideal visual acuity may take up to six months to achieve, it is very common for patients to demonstrate near-perfect vision during their follow-up examinations the very day after LASIK surgery, and to immediately discontinue the use of glasses or contact lenses.
- Freedom from Corrective Eyewear. After successfully undergoing LASIK eye surgery, one of the benefits patients are most excited about is their new-found freedom from corrective eyeglasses and contact lenses. In the vast majority of cases, patients enjoy visual acuity that is better than what they formerly experienced with the use of corrective lenses, and are no longer dependent on glasses and contacts. For many LASIK patients, gone are the days of worrying over broken glasses or lost contacts, packing cumbersome cleaning and storing solutions for a vacation, or paying for costly replacements each time refractive needs change. With LASIK eye surgery, patients not only enjoy incredibly clear vision, but also enjoy a life free from the daily hassles and expenses of glasses and contact lenses.
- New Activities and Career Opportunities. Patients who have undergone successful LASIK eye surgery find that travel becomes much more enjoyable and convenient because they no longer have to worry about packing a back-up pair of glasses or all the accessories necessary for contact wearers. Furthermore, such activities as swimming, cycling, sky-diving, and even spending a day at the beach become more pleasurable without the worries and hassles associated with corrective eyewear.In addition to the many leisure-time LASIK eye surgery benefits, patients also find that they have a broadened array of career choices available to them. Some fields, especially law enforcement and aviation, require participants to display excellent vision that is not dependent upon such refractive solutions as glasses or contact lenses. After undergoing LASIK, patients who were not formerly suitable candidates for such occupations find themselves embarking on the careers of their dreams.
- More Self-Confidence. Perhaps the most life-changing of the many LASIK benefits is the heightened self-confidence many patients attain. After LASIK surgery, patients no longer feel as though their faces are hidden by glasses. Furthermore, many patients find that the ability to see more clearly than ever before helps them to be more outgoing socially. For instance, patients who were formerly disoriented while trying to navigate in a darkened environment with poor vision now feel more at ease in dimly-lit clubs and restaurants. Increased self-confidence not only enhances the social lives of LASIK eye surgery patients, but can also lead to a more satisfying love life and a dramatically enhanced professional life.